I found an excellent resource: http://blog.benhall.me.uk/2008/03/ironpython-studio.html
( thanks Ben ) which really has to take credit for the content of this post - I just wanted my own record of it.
So, here are the steps:
- Use the link below to get the Visual Studio 2008 Shell ( isolated mode ) Redistributable
( http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=ACA38719-F449-4937-9BAC-45A9F8A73822&displaylang=en ) [tidy, no?]
- Run this to unpack the actual installer ( plus license, notes etc. )
- Run the extracted installer ( make sure you've closed any VS related apps )
- Now go to http://www.codeplex.com/IronPythonStudio to get the VS Shell add-in
- Extract and run the installer you found there
That's it, I'd like to find a way of installing the version that integrates with an existing VS 2008 install - but that's for another day.